About the event
Sleep Out to Speak Out is an awareness and fund raising event to support local Sheffield based charities who help the homeless. The event provides the opportunity for you to put yourself in the shoes of a homeless individual by spending the night outside underneath the concourse next to the Students' Union. The event will include a number of local charity information talks and discussions about the current issues surrounding homelessness both locally and at a national level. The charities you will be supporting and who will be attending on the night consist of:
Cathedral Archer Project - www.archerproject.org.uk
Roundabout - www.roundabouthomeless.org
Ben's Centre - www.benscentre.org
The Sunday Centre - www.thesundaycentre.org
What's included with my ticket?
- Sheltered and secure sleep out zone
- Access to the charity information talks and discussions
- Hot drinks throughout the night
- Toilet access at the students' union all night
What you need to bring
- It is very important that you bring your ticket to show that you have paid for the event, the ticket will be swapped for a wrist band at the event.
- it is compulsory that you bring a sleeping bag for the night, the weather can be very cold at this time of year, If you do not bring a sleeping bag then you will not be permitted to attend.
- Cardboard is advised, it will be used as layer between the floor and you when sleeping
- Warm clothing layers, hats, gloves and extra socks are all highly recommended.
- A snack and thermos flask are also a good idea as warm drinks will be available throughout the night
- Ticket price is £5
- A minimum sponsorship raise of £20 is required
- All proceeds will be split equally across the four supporting charities
Sleep Out to Speak Out: Terms and Conditions
By purchasing your ticket to our event, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- Due to University health and safety regulations, you MUST bring a good quality sleeping bag. We also strongly advise you to bring some cardboard to sleep on, as the concourse where you will be sleeping is concrete, and the cardboard will act as a layer of insulation from the ground.
- Warm clothing is also strongly advised. Although the event is in mid springtime, the nights will still be cold, and the weather can vary at this time of the year. A warm coat, a hat, extra socks, warm trousers and other layers are also recommended.
- You must be registered with Sheffield Volunteering prior to the event. This is essential and without this you will not be allowed to participate. If you are not registered already, you can do this online or in the volunteering office in the SU. https://www.sheffieldvolunteering.com/login/
- You will be representing the Students’ Union and University at this event, so please show respect for others in your behaviour, language and actions. If people around you wish to sleep, then let them.
- There is a strict NO drugs or alcohol rule. Anyone caught with either or under the influence of these will be asked to leave immediately by security. You should also be aware that this may subsequently lead to Students’ Union disciplinary action.
- Owing to the risk of fire, there is a strict ‘No Smoking’ policy at this event. Anyone who does not cooperate with this will be asked to leave immediately by security.
- Feel free to bring small change, as light hot refreshments will be available on the night. If you wish to bring a thermos, or a small snack (i.e. a bag of crisps) then this is fine too.
- There will be toilet access in the Students’ Union building throughout the night, as well as Students’ Union security patrols. If you have any issues, do not hesitate to talk to them. There will also be event stewards available if you have any questions or concerns.
- Since this is an awareness and fundraising event, we would like all our participants to take the event seriously. This means no bringing speakers/laptops for music or ordering in food etc. to the event. You are also advised not to bring other valuable items with you.
- Forge Press or other media coverage may also be on site during the event taking photos. If you do not wish to be photographed, please make this known to photographer.
- The cost of the ticket is £5, on top of which we expect a minimum of £20 raised in sponsorship. To comply with charity regulations, this must be done through our fundraising page, which RAG will help you set up. http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/ You will have up until the 3rd May 2019 to reach this target, though we hope you are able to raise more if possible.
- We hope that this event will be as fun for you as it is insightful into the lives of those living on the streets of Sheffield. However, if you have any queries in the meantime, please feel free to contact Sheffield Volunteering at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sheffield RAG stands for "Raising and Giving"!