Unless other wise stated, trips are travel only; you will have free time in the destination.
Whitby Day Trip
Glossop Road entrance to Bar One • 2 October, 8am - 5.30pm
Whitby, which is a seaside town full of history and myths including the famous Whitby Abbey, also has an array of unique shops which can be found along the cobbled streets, offering local crafts, famous Whitby Jet jewellery, maritime memorabilia and antiques. There are a plethora of creative studios and art galleries in Whitby that you can visit. And for the food connoisseurs out there, Whitby has award winning seafood restaurants, continental delights, traditional sea-shanty inns and traditional English tea rooms. Visit: https://www.visitwhitby.com/ for more information about what things you can do on this trip.
The trip will run with an 8am departure from the Glossop Road entrance to Bar One.You will have free time in Whitby. You will then be expected to be at the Whitby meeting point at the end of the day at 5.15pm, so we can travel back to Sheffield.
THIS IS A FAMILY FRIENDLY TRIP
What's included with my ticket?
Your ticket is great value for money and includes all coach transport to and from Whitby. You're free to explore the city in your own time and at your own pace. We will give you an itinerary and map when you are on the coach so you can plan your day accordingly.
Team Give it a Go will be with you, but you will be left to your own devices for the day.
Instructions for Ticket Holders
- Get to the pickup location as stated on your ticket at 7.45am for a 8am departure.
- Have your e-ticket ready for inspection on your phone
- Please be dressed appropriately for the weather conditions
- Be advised that the coaches will be leaving promptly at the coach pick up point at 5.30pm.
N.B. Our coaches will not wait for you if you are late. They will leave in the morning at the pick-up point at 8am, and again the departure point on time. If you miss the return coach, you will have to utilise public transport options to return to Sheffield.
What do I need to bring?
It is very important that you bring your ticket to show that you had paid for the trip.
We would also advise all students/explorers be prepared and bring the following:
- Appropriate clothing for the weather on the day. A coat, umbrella, hat, scarf and gloves would probably be smart.
- Any spending money you want
- A rucksack
- A bottle of water
We would also advise you to bring a small packed lunch, even if you plan on buying food when you get there.
Terms and Conditions
Tickets, Cancelations, Refunds and Adverse Weather Conditions
- All tickets once sold are strictly non-refundable in all circumstances except where a trip is cancelled by Give it a Go. Notifications of cancellations will be given on social media and email where available.
- Adverse weather conditions which are held to jeopardise the safety of the trip, will result in the cancelation of the trip. Thereupon a full refund and options to reschedule will become available accordingly.
- The presence of precipitation, wind or unpleasant weather conditions will not automatically entitle participants to a refund. Sign ups must expect and be prepared for all aspects of British weather.
- Students must be on time at the meeting point or the coach will leave without them. This is the case both leaving and returning.
- Give it a Go is open to University of Sheffield Students' and its Alumni only. Two tickets per person, other than for Residence Life discounted tickets, can be purchased so students can bring guests to sessions however Give it a Go takes no liabilities if a guest is denied access without the proper production of an NUS or uCard.
Expected Conduct and Liabilities
- Please observe the authority of the trip leader and follow all reasonable instructions. Our staff and guides are there to keep you safe!
- We advise against you taking expensive or sentimental belongings on these trips. Sheffield Students’ Union cannot be held liable or responsible for any losses sustained to property however caused.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I've bought a ticket, but can't go anymore. Can I get a refund?
A. I'm afraid not. This is a non-refundable ticket. Please make sure you're free before you sign up
Q. What time we will get back to Sheffield?
A. We will be departing Whitby at 5.30pm. If we do not hit any server traffic, we should be back in Sheffield for 8pm. The journey time is 2.5 hours.
Q. I have a ticket for the Residences Coach pickup but I wish to swap to the Union, can I do this?
A. I am afraid not – however there may be the option to swap coaches with another student on the way back, if you wish to swap coaches please make the trip leader aware but note it may cause a departure time delay.
Give it a Go is an activities programme full of fabulous activities and sports for you to try. It gives you the chance to try new things, meet new people, learn new skills and visit different places. Look out for the booklets as it is bursting with fun and exciting things, all run at a beginner's level.
** Please note that Give it a Go is for University of Sheffield students only **